Reimbursement of Kinesiology Services - Receipts - Insurance

Can a Kin help clients to get reimbursed for kinesiology services?

Kinesiologists work in many different settings and provide a variety of services. Legislation of health services is different from one province to another. The context in which you are providing services will help determine the type of documentation required and how invoices are prepared and submitted. 

This document’s primary use is to inform Kinesiologist (Kins) on receipt and on reimbursement of their services. CKA is not responsible for consequences and damages that may occur as an outcome of its interpretation of this information. It is to be stressed that the aim is to guide Kins and not to provide them with a detailed procedures as it does not want to interfere in provincial legislation. Interpretation of legislation of health care professions and of insurance programs often depends upon the particular circumstances. If Kins are in difficulty over interpretation they should seek independent advice from their legal advisor and/or from their Provincial Kinesiology Association.

Who can issue receipts? 

Kinesiologist is a professional recognized under NOC National Occupational Classification issued by Statistics Canada: 3144 - Other professional occupations in therapy and assessment

In Canada, Kinesiologists are legislated provincially. Since 2013, kinesiology in Ontario is a regulated health profession with the establishment of the College of Kinesiology of Ontario (CKO). Similar proposals have been made in other jurisdictions and will soon be legislated in other 3 other provinces.

For Kinesiologist in the other provinces than Ontario, the profession is controlled by the Canadian Kinesiology Alliance and its partners Provincial Kinesiology Associations.

In order to practice kinésiologie in Canada and be allowed to issue receipts, all Kinesiologist must comply to specific requirements :

  • Should be a member in good standing of their Provincial Kinesiology Association and CKA (and College, if applicable)
  • Own a professional insurance policy and a general insurance policy
  • Meet competencies and standards of the profession, and successfully pass a professional assessment (if applicable)
  • Respect a code of ethics
  • Complete Continuing Education Standards every 2 – 3 years

What should my receipt include? 

Regardless of whether you are billing through a statutory system or billing clients directly, the principles of transparency and accuracy always apply. When billing clients directly your invoices must, at a minimum, include:

  • your name
  • your registration number
  • the date the service was provided
  • the amount owing and paid
  • a description of the service

Ensuring your membership/affiliation/accreditation designation and registration number are on the invoice is important information for a client to have if they are attempting to have the service covered by a third party insurer.

What to tell my clients to get reimbursed?

While kinesiology services are not covered under provincial public health care system, they are tax deductible (if they reach a certain minimum). Even in cases where a client does not have coverage for kinesiology, you can let them know to retain all receipts for income tax purposes.

A growing body of evidence points to the direct link between physical health and workplace performance. Healthier employees come to work more often, take fewer sick days, work more effectively and file fewer WSIB claims. Promoting good physical health through preventative exercise keeps your team working hard day in and day out. By adding Kinesiology to your extended benefits package, you can help your team work healthier, happier and harder.

In some province, the following Insurance companies offer certain policies covering kinesiology expenses (to date) :

Ask that your client ask their insurance company if the kinesiology fees are refunded. If they are not, request documentation and template letter for clientletter for employer to give to your employer and / or your insurance company to apply for inclusion of kinesiology services in your insurance plan


How does the Insurance Industry Work?

Watch the video of an information webinar, a presentation from Mrs. Joan Weir, Director of Health and DIsability Policy for the Canadian Life and Insurance Association entitled

"Health Insurance, Your Clients, and Protection of your Pratice"